The Phoenix City of the South was represented from 1920 through 1936 by the Atlanta Black Crackers, a charter team in the Negro Southern League. The team’s name was derived from its white, Southern Association counterpart, the Atlanta Crackers. From 1926 forward the two teams shared Atlanta’s Ponce De Leon Park for home games.
In 1937 the Black Crackers joined the Negro American League. After struggling through the first half of the season, the team rallied to compile the league’s best record during the second half and qualified to meet the Memphis Red Sox in a league championship series.
After the Memphis squad won the first two games, the series broke down under scheduling disputes and disputed game cancellations. The playoff series was never completed, and no champion was declared by the league.
After the 1937 season the team was plagued by financial difficulties and withdrew from the Negro American League. For a brief time the franchise moved to Indianapolis, but soon returned to Atlanta and rejoined the Negro Southern League.