During the 1910s the Royal Giants reigned as one of the nation’s most powerful black clubs, winning multiple championships in the East. The team fell into somewhat of a decline during the 1920s while under the ownership of Nat Strong, a white New York City booking agent, and made a dismal showing during its five seasons in the Eastern Colored League (1923-27). While competing in the Eastern Colored League the club played its home games at Dexter Park in Queens.
After returning to independent play in 1928 the team’s roster was rebuilt, but the quality of play never matched that of its early championship seasons. By the mid-1930s the team was of no better than minor league quality, and as the 1940s came around the team had fallen to a semi-professional status. The team disbanded in 1942.